Well, I finally did it. I got rid of my desktop.
Sort of…it’s currently in the closet. I haven’t figured out what I want to do with it, yet. I love my desktop, but I never use it anymore and it takes up so much room.
I’ll probably wind up giving it to a relative, but someone who I know won’t destroy it. I love my desktop. Zach built it. But I just don’t have room for it. That doesn’t mean I want it to get destroyed…and, unfortunately, most of the people I know don’t have a great track record with electronics. I’m not really sure what to do. So I’ll sit on it for a while until I can figure that out.
But my office looks so much better now.
I got the desk and hutch as a set from Office Depot right after I finished college in 2010.
On the first shelf of the hutch I keep:
- printer paper
- manilla envelopes
- a packet of thank you cards
- x-acto blades
- a box of Zach’s business cards
- a glass paper weight with a piano etched into it
- the old salsa jar–for random loose objects in my desk, like rubber bands
On the second shelf, I have a tray where I keep a bunch of things, like:
- an external harddrive
- duct tape
- regular envelopes
- hand lotion
On my left, I keep:
- a notepad that I got with my copy of Diablo III =D
- a clock and pen that Zach’s mom gave me when I finished college
- some wax hearts that smell like strawberry jam
- a lighter
- a lit fountain that Zach’s brother and sister got me for Christmas three years ago
On my right I have:
- a candle that smells like clean laundry
- a basket with writing utensils and scissors in it
- a pencil sharpener
- the pen and pen holster that was used at our wedding (it’s that little gleam of silver behind the pencil sharpener)
- a tube of envelope moistener…because licking envelopes is kind of disgusting.
On top of the hutch is:
- a photo box containing our engagement photos and a selection of wedding photos
- a thermometer
- a little box that I keep staples in
- a green vase that now holds dry erase markers for the paint chip calendar I keep on the wall to my right
The green vase once held a gorgeous selection of autumn flowers that Zach’s parents sent me for my birthday the first year we were married. I love autumn flowers.
On the left side of the hutch is:
- my printer/copier/scanner/fax machine. I can’t use the fax part at the moment because we don’t have a land line. The rest comes in handy, though
- a box made out of…something that I got for Zach a few years ago
In the frame on top of the hutch, I keep the diploma of my degree. I didn’t do a close-up of it because it has a lot of personal information. While I do put a lot of personal information on this blog, there are limits. My maiden name and where I went to school are too personal.
The cloth under my laptop is just a piece of cloth I got for $0.97 at Wal-Mart a few months ago. I had other plans for it, but they fell through.
I’m very happy with the way I have my desk organized now. Though I do want to change a few things. I’m hoping (and I’ve been wanting to do this for a while) to add some kind of background under the hutch. I hate that when I have something with cords sitting on it, they hang down and are visible. So I’m going to put something there, though I haven’t decided what.
Over the weekend, I also went to Lowe’s and got an LED light to hang from the hutch. (The closest I can find on the website is this one, but that’s not it. It was a Utilitech LED with a dimmer and it is 18 inches, in case you’re curious.)
I love it! My desk was so dark. I was trying to work and couldn’t see the style book I was reading. So Zach gathered me up, we went to lunch, and then hit Lowe’s. I got the light on sale, too, because it was the last on the shelf and it had been opened. (Apparently someone else bought it and then decided it wasn’t what they wanted.) So I got it for $20 instead of $30. Sweet! Oh, and it has a dimmer. It also has a connecter on the right side, in case I decide to buy another one. Then, I don’t have to plug the second one into an outlet–I can just plug it into the one I already have. Which means fewer ugly cords hanging down! But this one produces so much light, I don’t think I’ll need a second one.
I’m very excited about the way my office is starting to look, though. It’s quite nice. 🙂