If you love sloppy joes, how would you like to make them easier? Give these freezer meal slow cooker sloppy joes a try! They can be customized to your own tastes, and you can make them ahead of time. Great for preparing yourself for a busy day.
The Best Freezer Meal Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
Did you like sloppy joes as a kid? I loved them! But I’ve discovered recently that a lot of kids don’t.
I’ve had a lot of sloppy joe recipes over the years. Most were probably made with Manwich because humans are suckers for good marketing. I can’t think of a single sloppy joe recipe I didn’t like. But this one is the best I’ve had so far. (Though Zach would argue that the cheeseburger sloppy joes are better because cheeseburgers. Of course.)
Most of the time, if I meet someone who doesn’t like sloppy joes, they say it’s because they don’t like Manwich. Well, here’s the solution for you!
This recipe is way better than the canned stuff, and you can customize it any way you want. Don’t like tomato chunks? Either puree the tomatoes or use tomato sauce.
Don’t like canned? Make your own versions of the ingredients. Now that you have an idea of what goes into a sloppy joe, all of that is incredibly simple.
Plus this recipe is just downright good. I’ve had many sloppy joes over my lifetime, but this is the recipe that always sticks out to me.
Freezer Friendly Tips
- You do have to brown the meat before putting it in the freezer because you don’t want it to all freeze together. And the meat won’t cook correctly if you put it in the crock pot raw. I know. I accidentally did it once. Oops!
- Can be frozen for 6-9 months.
Budget Friendly Tips
- Don’t want to buy sriracha? Use 1 tsp cayenne pepper instead. (Or remove it and the red pepper flakes completely if you don’t like spice.)
- Distilled white vinegar will also work if you don’t have apple cider vinegar. Thee only vinegar that definitely wouldn’t work (off the top of my head) is balsamic. So use what you have if you don’t want to buy extra ingredients.
- If you don’t want to use canned tomatoes, replace it with one fresh tomato (two, if using romas) and add 1/8 cup water.
- If you don’t want/can’t have flour, replace it with 1 tbsp cornstarch.
The Best Freezer Meal Slow Cooker Sloppy JoesPrint This
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes OR tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 1/2 tsps chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsps dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsps onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
Step 01: Brown the meat.
Step 02: Mix the ingredients together in a crock pot. Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Can be frozen for 6-9 months.
I love sloppy joes, they are my go to dinner during the week when I’m out of options. I’m pinning this! I really want to start planning meals and doing freezer meals.
Thank you! I hope you like it! If you have a favorite recipe, you can substitute it for this and it will work the same. 🙂 And freezer meals are WONDERFUL! Enjoy! 😀
Your sloppy joes look so good – and so do those beans! I would be honored if you shared them at our What’s for Dinner link up!
Thank you Helen!