What’s on the list for the 52 Weeks of Decluttering Challenge? A bunch of stuff I’m not qualified for due to living in an apartment and not a house. That’s OK, it just means I’ll be done with the challenge faster than I thought. I do need to find solutions to some things, though (like the lack of a broom closet). I’ll just have to get creative.
So, a list of things that have come up:
1. The Laundry Cupboard. My laundry gets done at a friend’s house. Therefore, my laundry detergent and all that is also over there (wonderful friends allow me space so I don’t have to drag all that stuff back and forth).
2. The Ironing Pile. Why don’t I have an ironing pile? Because things either get ironed after they get washed or as they are needed. Since neither Zach nor I wear a lot of “business shirts” or shirts that require a lot of ironing…I really don’t have an ironing pile. So we iron things as they need ironing because it doesn’t come up too frequently. (Also, I have a steamer that I choose to use instead most of the time.)
3. The Broom Cupboard. I don’t have one. My hall closet is quite pathetic, so none of my cleaning supplies fit. My vacuum sits in the office because there is no where else to put it at the moment. My broom is between the fridge and the pantry and the mop is behind the white rack that has the microwave on it. My other cleaning supplies are under the sink.
4. The Kids’ Coloring Books. I don’t have children or coloring books. Moving on.
5. The Freezer. I need to do this one, but it needs to wait a little while longer. I have to get a couple things.
6. The Kids Wardrobe. See #4.
7. Board Games. Yes, I need to do this. I have a lot of unused board games.
While I should be at Week 5, I’m at Week 12. Whatever.
The only one missing is Arkham Horror, mainly because it won’t fit. As you can probably see for yourself. (The plain white box is a printed version of Cards Against Humanity.)
So the games we play are:
- Carcassone (I love this game!)
- Arkham Horror
- Magic (sometimes)
That’s pretty much it. We want to play Heroscape, but we accidentally put the characters in with our Dungeons and Dragons characters (a game we have and also decided to send to storage when we got too busy to keep playing…but that is far too expensive to just get rid of). I don’t want to say the pieces are missing, because we know exactly where they are. We just need to retrieve them the next chance we get. Because I’ve been wanting to play Heroscape.
Keep this in mind: Zach and I don’t have children, so if we have family games that require 3+ players, they won’t get played very often. And since Zach and all of our friends (who live in the general area) are PhD students, who has time for a regular game night? That’s why we got rid of D&D…we didn’t have time. So, no, I’m not throwing out games simply because they don’t get played. I will throw out games that I don’t think we’ll ever play. Which is what I did. And it made just enough room to fit all of our games. Finally. =)
Games I want to keep because we take them on vacation to play as family games:
- Mind Trap
So the games we can definitely get rid of are:
- Loaded Questions
- Truth Be Told
Here’s the cabinet now:
I went through and gave away Loaded Questions, Truth Be Told, and Chess/Checkers/Backgammon. Haven’t decided what we’re doing with Heroclix (I think we’re keeping it–we want to play it, we just need a copy of the rules…the stupid thing about Heroclix is that the original comes with the rules, but the one we have didn’t), and Cards Against Humanity. We’re going to play CAH with a couple friends on Thanksgiving and then make a decision about it. So there. =)
At least now all of our games fit. That’s the most important thing.
Wondering what’s up with the obnoxious tags at the bottom of the images? I noticed people on Tumblr using them for their own websites and erasing the credit. Not just taking them from my blog, but reblogging my posts and actually taking the time to delete my content. So I decided to attach these very large tags to the bottom of my images. Maybe it’ll help and maybe it won’t…but at least it’s there. I spent hours doing this yesterday so I could replace all of my old pictures, too.
If you want pictures for your blogs, here’s a helpful hint: make your own damn stuff and take pictures of it. Otherwise, if you want to use my pictures, you need to leave the link to my blog. And if you’re not going to do that…then it’s going to be attached to the picture. So there.