Time for the next task of the 52 Weeks of Decluttering. I’ve been putting this one off because…ugh. Just…ugh. Who wants to clean out their purse? (Guys: substitute wallet, backpack, briefcase or whatever it is you carry. I have guy friends who are professors, TAs, and/or grad students who carry multiple bags and they get plenty cluttered, too. Or purses. No judgements. Anyway, you can likely benefit from participating in this one.) Plus I never see the point in it because I usually don’t carry one–only when I’m going out of town. I generally carry a small wallet in my pocket or I just use my stowaway iPhone case. My disdain for purses is probably something I get from my aunt…she hates them, as well, and prefers to keep her money in her pockets and other articles of clothing (I’ll let you use your imaginations on that one).
But I’ll be traveling over the holidays, which means I’ll need my purse, so I should clean it out.
I don’t have any pictures of this one, but here is generally what I try to carry in my purse:
- Small bottle of body spray and/or deodorant
- Small eyeglasses repair kit (comes with screwdrivers and a magnifying glass)
- Feminine products (zipped up, because sometimes purses have nasty falls and spill everywhere)
- Hand sanitizer (I also have some on my keys for when I don’t have my purse)
- Contact case, solution, and glasses for emergencies
- My Nook, if I’m heading somewhere I think I’ll be waiting for a period of time, like a doctor’s office
- Pen…I try to keep a small pad of paper, but it sometimes finds its way out of my purse
- Wallet + checkbook
- A small travel sewing kit (something my mother taught me to do…though, for some reason, she carries two….)
- A corkscrew…because you never know. And, yes, I’ve used it.
I keep my phone and my keys in my pocket, usually. I hate having to dig in my purse for them.
Everything that isn’t on the list can get thrown out because it’s likely garbage (receipts, usually). I don’t know why I dread cleaning out my purse so much…but I hate this one. -_-
Is there anything, besides the obvious, that you like to have on you at all times?